Monday, October 22

Babbling: Language Acquisition

So dinobaby has been making noises for a long time, but he's really playing with his voice now. Babbling begins in children anywhere between 5-7 months, and usually children produce b, m, d, k, w, j, g, etc.

Leopleuradon likes "v", which is unusual. He also mixes vowels when he babbles which also unusual, e.g. "a-boo-ba", not "aba-ba."

Here's dinobaby being characteristically awesome:



I'm crediting his grandmothers. Both studied education, and it shows.  When either of them is with Leo he is constantly being talked to. Watching them read books to him is like seeing a video recording of my child development textbooks. They point out colors and animals, count items on the page, raise and lower their voices as they read, and elongate and emphasize their words. And, they do that all the time, every time they're around dinobaby.

I know academically that this is fantastic for his language development, but for whatever reason I have the hardest time talking to my child when it's just the two of us. It's not that I have a problem looking like a fool to do something that's good for my baby, but it's like my brain won't cooperate with me. It just sits there, instead of thinking of what to say, it just reminds me that I look like an idiot. I end up just repeating the last word of my sentence twice and smiling. "Look baby, do you hear the bird...bird" (fifteen minutes of silence) "...bird, bird."

So now not only do I sound ridiculous, it's basically for no purpose at all.

Just got to keep trying I guess.

How do you come up with things to say in your one-sided conversations?






1 comment:

  1. Being alone with your baby is one of the hardest parts of having only one child. It was hard for me to think of things to say to Rachel. I would tell her about everything I was doing. Down to the stupid things: "I'm using my right hand to pick up this t-shirt to fold it so I can put it away." We would also spend a lot of time outside, which makes conversations a lot easier. "Wow, isn't it nice outside today? The grass feels so pokey! and look! A pine cone!" I eventually got to the point where I would pretend she was an adult and talk to her about world news and memories of yesteryear using adult vocabulary, though obviously she wouldn't understand (I still do this occasionally). We would also read. A LOT. like hours and hours. She liked it though. Wesley always has a fit when I try to read to him.

    ReplyDelete